The Government guidance on ‘accessing green spaces’ was updated on 13th May, 2020 and this gave positive news in relation to our water-based activities.
The revised guidance is that:
“All forms of water sports practiced on open waterways, including sailing, windsurfing, canoeing, rowing, kayaking, surfing, paddle-boarding and the use of privately-owned motorised craft (in line with the guidance issued by the relevant navigation authority) are allowed.”
What this means to us at Felpham Sailing Club and its members:
You will be able to use your own boats from today…
However, please note:
- Firstly, we would ask members to act responsibly and with respect to all those around them. Your actions will reflect on the Club.
- The generic Government guidance that you may still only meet with one person outside of your household and that even then you must keep 2 metres apart, so effectively you may only have members of your own household on your boat.
- There will be no safety boat cover, so we would strongly advise that you and your boat can easily handle the conditions as if you were to get into difficulty the RNLI and Coastguard would have to risk their own safety for you. Please strongly consider this point.
- If you do put to Sea, we advise that you take a waterproof phone/handheld radio with you and think of other safety equipment you might need.
- Club owned boats will not be available for use.
- This is at your own risk/for Cadets, this is the parent responsibility.
- The Club is still unable to offer any shore based or on the water training activities as it would be impossible to maintain social distancing.
Clubhouse, changing rooms etc.
- These will remain closed in accordance with current Government guidance until further notice. Council facilities are open next door to the Club.
Please note the official Government advice, and guidance from the RYA and RNLI is continuing to be updated. Please keep up to date with the latest official information.
This, again, is your responsibility.
Govt link – https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
I would strongly recommend that you read and fully understand the offer the Government has made by allowing “free-sailing”. This is specifically not a Club activity and you are responsible for your own safety and actions under these proposals. Please bear this in mind when considering going for a sail.
Guy Mayger – Commodore Felpham Sailing Club